Friday, April 1, 2011

Perusing the Physical Book

I love e-readers--though my Kindle has mysteriously broken twice; I am awaiting my third--and love nothing more than standing around at dead time in the airport rereading something like Dombey and Son--but the physical book also has its incidental virtues. Keeping a book--a physical book--by your computer that you can dip into when you're bored, or can't face your own writing, is a great way to re-experience an author. I have my collected Robert Frost here for some reason and I'm finding tons of poems I never knew he wrote, and am reoriented how intellectual and political (not always wisely) he was....the lyrical Frost of the deathless, thoughtful meditaitons stands side by side with satirical jabs that would have sometimes been better jettisoned....only when you are bored and want to be distracted does one pick up such things otherwise one just flips through the book, alights on something one already knows and reconfirms it....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frost, DOMBEY & SON, the Poems of JRR Tolkien's LOTR, remind so much of the Silence of tranquility, and inward and external peace that it moves the souls. To confront reality and embrace it both phsyically, emotionallly and spiritually, Dr. Prof. Birns.

"Not all that glitters is gold."

--JRR Tolkien.


"The road not taken."

Your long time pupil of Writing & Spirituality:

SYR Kim

Nicholas Birns said...

Richard you are unquestionably my longest and most devoted pupil! Always a pleasure to hear your comments!

Caroline said...

Switch to an iPad and you'll never look back!