Friday, February 12, 2010

Reluctantly Transnational

I don't really like traveling that much--I like being in the new place, but not the hassle of getting there, or of having os much work to do whenI get back. Equally, I am somewhat of a skeptic as to the euphoria surrounding globalization or transnationalism, a lot of which amounts to what Graham Huggan (following, I think, James Petras) called 'globaloney'. But here I am, about to go to Berlin to lecture on transnational dimensions of Australian literature. It will be a short trip, as it is the middle of the semester. and as it is I have had to ask colleagues to generously give of their time to guest-lecture and show movies to my Lang classes. But, of course, I'll enjoy it when I get there, the collegiality will be great and intellectually stimulating, the prospects for Australian studies in Europe it augurs are importantly polyvalent,  and they have put me up in a wonderful apartment in a hip' part of town, and, needless to say, it is a great opportunity, I have never been to Berlin before....

I am seeing Avatar today, I must be the last person in the world to have seen it, and I doubt any insights I might have will be particularly provocative! Nor did I have any such on the Super Bowl, as exciting a game as it was, except the Colts jinxed their season by resting their starters vs. the Jets...

No comments: